POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Turn a torus : Re: Turn a torus Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turn a torus
From: Chris B
Date: 28 Sep 2004 12:53:31
Message: <4159970b@news.povray.org>
"Oleguer Vilella" <ole### [at] infonegociocom> wrote in message
> Yes, of course.

> > in news:4159053a@news.povray.org Oleguer Vilella wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe now is more clear...
> > >

> > Could you make a drawing and post it to the images group?
> >
> > Ingo

Hi Oleguer,

Your original object cut a torus in two, scaled it (non uniformly) then
rotated it and translated it.

Your drawing ("My Torus - Straight") seems to be scaled uniformly, and cut
differently. Your second drawing ("An angle") seems to me to be the same
shape rotated about 45 degrees towards the camera so the middle looks fatter
because it's closer to the camera.

If that is what you want, then this scene should do it for you:

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0, -0.8>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source { 0 color rgb 1
  translate <-30, 30, -30>
}

#declare myBridge = difference {
  // Create a torus and move it left of the origin
  torus { .3, .04  translate -x*0.1}
  // Cut away using a vertical plane rotated by
  // 25 degrees around vertical axis
  plane { x, 0 rotate y*25}
  // Cut away using a second plane rotated by -25
  // degrees around the vertical axis
  plane { x, 0 rotate -y*25}
  pigment {color rgb <1,0,0>}
}

object {myBridge rotate <-90,180,0> }
object {myBridge rotate <-90,135,0> translate x*0.25}

Good luck.